Monday, October 20, 2008

Poem of the Day 10.20.08

tightwad

she is looking
back at me
come hither eyes
red hair
chocolate skin
slumped demeanor
so i start moving
slower
act distracted
because this happens
almost everyday
to me
on this block

someone always
wants money.

and i hear good
stories too.
a daughter in the
hospital
someone here from
new orleans
because
of hurricane katrina
aids
someone just needing
money for a pint.

i’m waiting on the
foreclosure
or busted wall street
broker stories
but they haven’t come
yet.

usually i’m pretty
good with giving it out.
the money.
i don’t discriminate.
i’ve been known
to hand over
my last buck
because at least
i know where
my next buck is coming
from.
usually.

but something about me
lately
has me telling everyone no.
call it a lack of benevolence
monetarily
or otherwise
the economy
my health
maybe handing over cash
feels redundant
and i should just donate
to a charity.
i simply do not know.
but i’ve been interested
in keeping my cash
interested in denying
those who ask.

i hope i get over
it soon
the world could
use one less
asshole in it.

but for now
i’m keeping a tight grip
on the wallet
and at the next light
i’m crossing the street
to get a roll
and a hot cup of coffee
from that deli
and ms. red
with the come hither eyes
and wonderful chocolate skin
can find herself
another
willing benefactor
to woo
this morning.

No comments: