Monday, November 26, 2018

day SIX HUNDRED and SEVENTY SIX


Conversation with a White Man I

He said, we don’t have a rape culture in the United States
I said, why don’t you poll a random sampling of women and see what they say

He said, wait, aren’t men and women equal?
I started laughing and found I couldn’t stop

He said, are we living in the same world
I said, I don’t know, are we?

*

Conversation with a White Man II

You must be out of your mind, he said
I said nothing

There are mental issues in you, he said
I said nothing

You are ignorant, he said
I took a deep calming breath

I said, I know who I am
I said, And it’s not who you say I am
I said, I am Woman

strong kind courageous
worthy of dignity and respect
and an opportunity to
R O A R

*

Conversation with a White Man III

Believing an allegation
against a person based
solely on gender is
ignorant and dangerous, he said

I said, What’s really ignorant
is believing a woman
could ever win against
a powerful man

*

Conversation with a White Man IV

He said, I’ll forgive you, even though you haven’t apologized

I said, I’ve been apologizing my whole life
I said, I’m done apologizing
I said, From now on I only
B U R N

- Rachel Toalson

No comments: