Monday, May 19, 2014

poem of the day 05.19.14


informed

she tells me
she has lived with criminals
she tells me
she has lived with hasidic jews
and fundamentalists too
she says
she has apartments in vienna and paris
she tell me
she has lived many years in spain
she asks me
if i know what’s in the bottled water
that i’m drinking
if i know what’s in the air and in the soil
she says
she has lived with blacks and whites
and has been left lacking from both
she says
that being drunk with germans is the best
but sober…
she asks me
what i think about climate change
and mother russia
she says
you seem like a very wise man
but that’s only because i don’t talk
when she tells me
about syria and iraq
about how the taliban will retake afghanistan
once the united states leaves
she asks me
what i think about pakistan and the bomb
she says
all anyone in america can do is watch sports
and television and play on their phone
she says
everyone in america is obsessed
with their looks and their clothing and their money
then she says
you know, you could be a very handsome man
if you’d just shave your beard
and get rid of all that gray.

                                  

No comments: