Saturday, July 24, 2010

poem of the day 07.24.10

looking like an artist

i like those earrings you have
she tells me
you look very cool like that

and the long hair and beard

i keep trying to get my son
to grow his hair out

you look like some kind
of an artist, she says

a painter or poet

if only, i say to her

thinking about how
all of the poetry zines have rejected me lately

and the novel
just got sent back with
a letter from some assistant in chicago
who couldn’t even get
the title of the book
or my characters’ names right

i think about the paint dried up in the closet
and the stack of poetry books
that i can’t even give away

yet she stands there and smiles at me

while i’m nursing another
thursday morning wine and beer hangover

maybe the bloodshot eyes
and pale vomitous complexion
are doing something for her as well

to think it was so easy all along

if you can’t be
a decent artist
at least you can look like one.

4 comments:

Zaina Anwar said...

As an artist, I find your poem to be so rooted in reality, it makes my cheeks burn. I feel like I have just looked into a mirror. And they say artists have egos!

Anonymous said...

I have ready several of your poems. They are original and after the first two lines I want to know more of the story. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

my sentiments exactly.. great write..

John Grochalski said...

Zaina...thank you. i'm a public servant, so it's hard to have an ego.

Fatuous...thank you. i'll try.

Lynne...thanks again for reading.