Thursday, September 23, 2010

poem of the day 09.23.10

...and now for a slice of the trivial:

ode to an ipod

40,000 songs
oh wow
and you must think
you can walk
on water

ipod

i’ll admit that
i came to you late

and now
i have anxiety
waking up
in the middle of the night
wondering
if i got all of my
lou reed on you

did i even put
lou reed on you yet?

ipod

everyone tells me
that you’ll change
my life
you must be some kind
of machine

ipod

because the last thing
to change my life
was a little girl from
monroe, new york

and before her
a french-canadian
from lowell, massachusetts
who helped me toss away
futile, common ambition
and all reason
all for
the word
the word
the word

so you must
be something

ipod

some kind of god

ipod

you don’t seem
so life changing sitting there
gray and metal
inanimate
1,000 songs and counting
stored inside of you

ipod

i’ve seen the eiffel tower
and the london bridge
i’ve seen shakespeare’s grave
and the english channel
at 15,000 feet

ipod

but i’ve never played
the beatles
for two straight hours
or elvis presley
until my heart
was content

ipod

are we a good match?
secret lovers?

Ipod

what is this dance we are doing?
the future samba?
a shake of the technological limbo

ipod

i’ve got a special playlist just for you
and my heart is on shuffle

ipod

i promise to never
leave you for an e-reader
or an ipad
even if they
both have a 3g network
with a million different applications
and google maps

ipod

i’m a whore
and i want you to know this

ipod

i said the same thing
to my cd player
just last month.

No comments: