Saturday, February 19, 2011

poem of the day 02.19.11

great men

sitting on the couch
hungover
fresh from making a fool
of myself in public
which had really been
a long time coming
my wife and i are watching
a seven-part miniseries
on the scott-amundsen race
to the south pole
can’t drink
can’t eat
my stomach burning
my heartbeat rapid in my chest
every ten minutes
i have to get up and shit rivers
into the toilet
as scott and amundsen make history
battling unspeakable weather
and other hardships
at the southern tip of the world
in the bathroom is
a magazine with
an interview with elton john
talking about his lifetime of success
in the music industry
great men, i think
sitting there flipping the pages
waiting on the next
deluge of the soul
to come sliding out of my ass
some of them can conquer
worlds of ice
others can take the stage
like a storm
pleasing millions
while the rest of us sit
on cold commodes
wishing for death
or retirement
praying for soft mercy
thinking, great men
who needs them anyway?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sometimes ya just gotta indulge those great big ass pisses ... Loved it.