Saturday, January 4, 2020

day ONE THOUSAND and EIGHTY

Sympathy for the Devil

“Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul and faith”
– The Rolling Stones

I tire of signing ineffective online petitions,
conducting intensive online research,
exercising critical thinking skills
to determine truth for myself.

Rolling around in cyber mud
with propaganda-programmed trolls
leaves me frustrated, depressed.
They spout jingoistic sound bites,
inflammatory memes untethered from fact.

Infotainment hosts replace hard news
with hate bombs, generate faux outrage,
attract emotional viewers who vent and lament
in superficial response.

Advertisers benefit, sell sham participation
followed by impulse purchases, vicious behavior,
an accumulation of bullshit,
all useless crap.

--Jennifer Lagier

No comments: