Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Librarian week poem of the day 01.23.14


wallpaper

i’ve been in this bar
over three times this week

there must be something for me
in this place

but i can’t tell what it is

i just know that i’m
wearing out my welcome

no longer a novelty

they don’t seem as excited to see me

benny just pours my drink and nods

i sit there waiting
with my gut hanging over my belt
as jerry with the bad moustache
belts out eagles songs
forgetting that he once bared his soul to me

looking at a poster of irish writers
that hangs on the wall

it’s them and me and james joyce

we’re all in it until the end

none of us
new kids on the block in this place

we’re like statues of men and women

hopeless statues holding drinks

faded as the wallpaper has gotten
from too much sun coming in
through the dusty window
by the old front door
that one that sticks when it starts to get
humid outside.

The Librarian is available for purchase at Amazon.com right HERE

For my East Coast friends you can also purchase The Librarian at Caliban Books in Pittsburgh

and NOW on the West Coast, The Librarian is available at Gatsby Books in Long Beach

No comments: